Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Our sincere apologies - its not a KLR, but luckily still a Kawa nonetheless...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crosby 400 R 45 000.00

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112436

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -
  • Thank you received: 387
"Ek en my KLR het n love - hate relaitionship, ek sal love om hom te hate, maar hy bewys my aanmekaar verkeerd."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112437

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -
"Ek en my KLR het n love - hate relaitionship, ek sal love om hom te hate, maar hy bewys my aanmekaar verkeerd."

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112438

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112439

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112440

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -
h yes, the biggest question that comes into mind, if one is purchasing any product, is inevitably ‘deal or no deal’. Many hours of forceful sales patter from a forceful salesperson can swing you in one way or another to either flick out your credit/bank card or flick you out of the door and we’ve all been there, right?

It’s certainly a phrase that’s used daily in everyone’s mind and perhaps it might even be used as a title for some sort of TV show, who knows? And, in our new and frustrating world of high priced motorcycles it’s most certainly the first, or last, question you’ll have to answer.

So what makes the general public want to buy any new motorcycle? I don’t mean 400k+ bikes either because they have their own market for the fortunate. I believe it’s basically down to two things, obviously the cost and then the desirability of the machine you’re attracted to. If you’ve just answered with a resounding yes to both of these then this little beauty will fit right into you wallet, or purse, and then some.

So what is this cute ride you ask because I’ll guarantee that you’ve never heard the name before and yes it comes from the Chinese empire (Shineray Motorcycles) before you enquire, which is no longer a bad thing? Well it’s a Crosby TT400 to be precise, a name derived from the famous town in the Isle of Man, where the first ever TT400 class was run starting off down the Crosby straight. Yes, the Crosby badge does look similar to a current British motorcycle (no points for guessing that one) as does the brilliant retro design that sends one back into the 60s and 70s, nothing wrong with that either.

You see retro styled bikes are all the rage at the moment because, well, they’re just so cool, right, and the Crosby TT400 is no exception. I had the pleasure of playing with it for a few weeks and became quite attached to this charming 400 due to its small dimensions, lack of annoying electronics and enviable commuting abilities.

No one makes a 400cc bike that can be bought here anymore, correct me if I’m wrong, but invariably I’m not. So that gives the Crosby a desirability tick in the right box and it’s a ‘thumper’ or single-cylinder, again a retro attraction. The engine, which is a SOHC, 4-valve, air-cooled unit with a dry sump, should be familiar to some. It’s basically the same engine used in a Honda XR400 and Yamaha SR400 from the 1990s and churns out a healthy 30hp. But being a 400 it has plenty of torque low down and a splendid exhaust note emitting from those twin, because the engine has a twin-port head, stainless steel silencers, again resembling pure 60s/70s styling, nice! They even decided to keep the kick-start for thigh slapping fun and a good ol’ fashioned carb for a spot of jet fiddling, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

This timeless British 40-year-old design runs throughout the Crosby beautifully. All the panels are made of metal, it has rubber knee grips, chunky spoke wheels inside chunky Kenda Cruiser tyres (100/90x19 front, 130/80x18 rear), and a classic style rippled seat to match.

The Crosby TT400 is undoubtedly very accomplished at portraying a British bike from that time period. So much so that everyone, and I mean everyone, wanted to know more and how to get one, especially after I told them the price, but we’ll get to that later. No wonder really because it is a very, very pretty motorcycle with a surprisingly high standard of finish in all areas. Perhaps I should have entered it into a classic concourse show with a ‘strategic’ sticker placement, if you catch my drift?

Anyway, bet you’re wondering if it rides as good as it looks, well yes it does. Weighing only 151kg with 30hp and decent low-down torque it’s quite a feisty thing and can be thrown around with its equally commendable handling. It’s comfortable too with the high ‘bars putting you in an upright stance as you check out those white clocks with electronic rev-counter and quality switchgear to fiddle with, that looks suspiciously like the ones found on Aprilias and Moto-Guzzis, but the Chinese do make everything for everyone so I’m not surprised about that or, the Honda front disc and calliper either, all good things in my mind.

Top speed is around 150km/h and the legal speed appears at 6,000rpm and there’s no point in revving it past 8,000rpm where the valves begin to complain, but Pat from V-Custom Cycles in Pretoria who import the Crosby range will be raising the gearing slightly on the next batch to stop it revving so hard at these speeds. But it didn’t hinder one new owner who decided to ride from Jo’burg to Knysna and back with zero problems, so we’ll call the Crosby reliable then and, the owner claimed 30km per litre as he did so, with a 13-litre tank that’s a lot of kilometers for very little cash.

Talking of the next batch, there will also be a Café Racer version with a single seat and half fairing and a Scrambler option as well, which will swell his retro stable nicely.

Right, so the Crosby is fun to ride, reliable, has a one year warranty, looks lovely, attracts massive attention and you’ll probably want one after I’ve told you the price – how does R45,000 sound in today’s high priced market? Deal or no deal - deal please!

Go to www.vcustomcycles.co.za or call (086 182 2835) for more Crosby information.

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112441

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 765
Genade...

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112442

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -
B)

Kom nou Piet, jy's nog te jonk om nou al so sinies te wees!

:laugh:

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112443

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 765
Lou wrote:
B)
Kom nou Piet, jy's nog te jonk om nou al so sinies te wees!
:laugh:
Sinies?!

"Waarderend" is die woord waarna jy soek! ;)

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112444

• Lou
  • Platinum Boarder
  • - Middelburg MP -
Nee goed, as jy so se...

Crosby 400 R 45 000.00 1 year 3 months ago #112454

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1668
I'LL RIDE THAT.
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici
  • Page:
Moderators: Benade
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds