Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi All -- Hello daar

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117497

• Francois__1_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I bought a KLR off a guy that was emigrating, he never rode it. 2013/2014 model 5200km when I got it, been driving it for a month

Before that I have 27K km on a scooter, 7K on a 250cc chinese turd :pinch: five years in total.

SO:
I bought the bike for 49K and I got a top box free, which is a bargain considering its spotless!
I've added SW Mowtech crashbars.

Also two people I know have mentioned the Doohickey but then I read that after a certain year/ Model the problem was fixed from Kawasaki side?

This bike is going to be my ticket to tour the reachable world.. and my first trip found me -- I might have found work for a month on a fruit farm in Malelane, and I'll be doing the 360km theere and back on the KLR, and then do the 50 km to Mozambique on a weekend?! How awesome would that be

Question 2: What would a good repair kit consist of, where do I learn to change and fix tyres correctly on a bike and how do I weld my own Pannier racks? because I will need to because contrary to popular belief (held by bike shops....) not all big bike owners have big money.... and now that I'm in the big leagues I need to learn

Also I need better gloves. Im the only motorcyclist in my family --EDUCATE ME PLEASE
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BMac

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117500

• Francois__1_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
EN hier is sy

Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by Pannas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BMac

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117502

• Groenie
  • null
  • Thank you received: 262
Het reply op jou email.

Jy moet nog steeds die doo doen. Die standaard spring is te lank en gaan nie die tension hou nie.
null

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117505

• Prince
  • Gold Boarder
  • Port Elizabeth
  • Thank you received: 82
Welkom, maar waar is sy?
Allie pad grondpad

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117506

• Pannas
  • Field Marshal
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
  • Thank you received: 1673
POWER (and skill) MEAN NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL
MB50, MBX50, MTX50, RD125, GS550, XL200, '84KLR600, '07KLR650, '08KLR650, '06XT660R, '09F800GS

Veni Vidi Vici

Re:Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117510

• Psycho Porra
  • Last Man Standing
  • Sworn To Fun And Loyal To Rum
  • Thank you received: 1407
welcome and enjoy
"The Brave do not Live Forever, but the Cautious do not Live at all"

Re:Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117513

• Paul
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
Welcome Francois. Do not put your spare Allen key inside your tyre and you will not need to fix it. Talking from experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Re:Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117517

• Abre
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Little Falls, Woesrand, Jhb
  • Thank you received: 868
Welcome, many safe miles

EMD, Silverton Midas and Off Road Cycles are good places to buy gear and parts from.

If you are going to travel long distances it is wise to keep an eye n the oil level, some bikes never use oil while other may use some oil when constantly kept at 5000rpm or higher. Best to keep the level at the top of the sight glass with the bike upright and level.

If you are going to ride a lot of gravel you will have to keep a close eye on the air filter and clean it regularly. I have a second filter which I use to rotate filters.

Which tools to carry with is a personal preference. If the fasteners on your bike are standard you would need an 8mm socket to remove the rear side covers. The side covers must be removed to get to the battery (the new shapes are difficult to push start ) and air filter. You would certainly need the necessary spanners to remove the wheels in case of a puncture, don't forget the allen head pinch bolts on the front axle. A good quality 12mm, 14mm and 17mm will come in handy.

For the actual tyre change you will need a good set of tyre levers, compressor/pump /CO2 bombs with connector and a valve puller. I use baby powder to help with the seating of the bead. Watch some YouTube videos and search on this forum for more advice. It will also help to practise at home, it is not something I would advise you to do next to the road for the first time. Maybe Groenie can have a tyre change day to show the secrets of tyre changing :woohoo:

The rear carrier rack is not very strong. It would need some modifications to strengthen it if you are going to add a top box. Errol Mallinson from PE make soft luggage racks. For the quality and ease of fitment they are hard to beat (search him on FB or on this forum, his contact details were mentioned not too long ago).

A visit to Groenie will be valuable.

Hope I did not offend you with stuff you already know.

Cheers.
Abré le Roux
The adventure is out there.....
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by Abre.

Re:Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117519

• Jerkimiah
  • Platinum Boarder
  • From Velleriff
  • Thank you received: 122
Welcome to the klan, greetings from the west coast

Hi All -- Hello daar 2 months 4 days ago #117520

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 687
Francois__1_ wrote:
EN hier is sy

Ok ons sien haar. In jou omgewing is daar sekere mense op sekere plekke met sekere talente, wat jou sekere inligting kan gee. Dalk saam met Paul hulle na daai krater toe gaan ry. Hy is goed ingerig, met n kop vol idees. Malelane en omgewing is n goeie plek om te begin met die fiets. Oook warm daar. Mosambiek en die sand kan ook rof raak. Dalk n ekstra skakelaar op die fan sit. As die vordering moeilik raak sit hom aan. Slim man eenmaal gesĂȘ. Beter om hom koel te hou, as om hom te probeer afkoel. Maar welkom, en mag jy die en sy wonderlike avonture saam beleef
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by Keith.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds