Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Add fuel and subtract coolant

Add fuel and subtract coolant 2 months 2 weeks ago #117180

• Kykdaar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Been struggling recently to bring my KLR's fever (high running temp) under control.

Bike was running lean after 685 install and fan would come on often - even when riding. I hate a hot running bike so have been trying a few things (22 cent mod, fuel screw adjustment, radiator flush, etc) with no real improvement.

What i sort of forgot about is that i am also running oversized valves.

Decided that i will rather go rich and work my way back from there than run lean so i took the fuel screw out to 2&1/2 to richen up the idle circuit, added another washer to richen up the mid-range and stuck in a 160 main jet.

Also diluted the coolant mix to 20/80 ratio - there is some very interesting reading available on that aspect on the Net.

Added a gutted exhaust and pulled the rubber airbox inlet to balance the airflow a bit.

Was expecting to find spluttering and surging to occur given the radical change, but bike pulls cleanly and strongly throughout the rev range. Will do a plug chop later, but for now it seems that the bike is running cool again.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

Add fuel and subtract coolant 2 months 2 weeks ago #117186

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
  • Thank you received: 842
Kykdaar wrote:
Been struggling recently to bring my KLR's fever (high running temp) under control.

Bike was running lean after 685 install and fan would come on often - even when riding. I hate a hot running bike so have been trying a few things (22 cent mod, fuel screw adjustment, radiator flush, etc) with no real improvement.

What i sort of forgot about is that i am also running oversized valves.

Decided that i will rather go rich and work my way back from there than run lean so i took the fuel screw out to 2&1/2 to richen up the idle circuit, added another washer to richen up the mid-range and stuck in a 160 main jet.

Also diluted the coolant mix to 20/80 ratio - there is some very interesting reading available on that aspect on the Net.

Added a gutted exhaust and pulled the rubber airbox inlet to balance the airflow a bit.

Was expecting to find spluttering and surging to occur given the radical change, but bike pulls cleanly and strongly throughout the rev range. Will do a plug chop later, but for now it seems that the bike is running cool again.

Then I need to speak to you. I dont have the running hot issue, but the rest sounds the same. Does not idle on choke etc.
I like to drink lots of beer??

Add fuel and subtract coolant 2 months 2 weeks ago #117187

• Dieseldawie
  • Administrator
  • Underwear Ninja
  • Thank you received: 842
And maybe I can help you with a couple of Banjo bolts as well.
I like to drink lots of beer??

Add fuel and subtract coolant 2 months 2 weeks ago #117189

• Kykdaar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Sharp - will pm you my number and we can chat
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds