Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going?

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 2 days ago #116915

• Muzzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys. I own a '13 KLR, 2nd gen. As far as the mechanics of the bike go, its still stock standard. I havent modified anything in the engine at all. Plenty of bolt on mods to the seat, pegs, plastics, lights etc, but nothing that would jeopardize the reliability of this beautiful machine. The issue Ive got is the fuel economy. right from the very beginning, almost 20 000kms ago, I have always gotten, on average, about 280kms to bone dry, on a 23 litre tank? surely the bike can do better than that? fully loaded, or light, panniers or top box, heavy handed or frugal, long rides or town riding, aggressive knobblies or 60/40 tyres... nothing seems to drastically change that ecomony by very much. sure, up or down a bit here and there, but I always seem to come out around the 13 to 14km/litre mark... but I hear guys easily get upwards of 20km/l on stock standard bikes!? what can I check/change/adjust? I dont want to start modifying the carb and drilling out the airbox etc, like guys do, I just want the same fuel economy that everyone else seems to get from their stock KLR's. Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 2 days ago #116916

• Slowmow
  • Lieutenant
  • Once you go black, you don't go back
  • Thank you received: 202
Welcome to the clan. It sounds like the main jet is not standard and or the needle in the slide is sitting to high.

On a lighter note.... if you want good fuel economy look at my avatar pic getting 28km/l without even trying, current best sits on 34.5 km/l :whistle:
2015 NC750X
Last Edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by Slowmow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerkimiah

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 2 days ago #116917

• Keith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Oosrand Springs.....Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid
  • Thank you received: 652
Agree on that one. We avarage 100-110km/h, seldom seeing 120. Between the three bike we avarage 27km/l on trips packed, gravel tar, up and down
Last Edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by Keith.

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 2 days ago #116918

• handre
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome to the clan. Where are you based? The ideal jetting between the coast and up north do differ, so I would also suggest you start looking there.

In terms of consistency, my bike is seems to give me 17-18km/l regardless of what I do. My theory is that with standard gearing your riding style is mostly picked FOR you.

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 2 days ago #116919

• Jerkimiah
  • Gold Boarder
  • From Velleriff
  • Thank you received: 118
Fuel economy is a factor of throttle/revs/gear position
I cruise at 80-110 and average 24 plus kms per litre
Only start looking to go onto reserve at 480-490kms
Only mod is the Doo and 50/50 tyres
Am super happy in this regard

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 4 weeks 1 day ago #116922

• Muzzie
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmm... As I say, I haven't modified the carb at all, and I bought the bike brand new from kawasaki PE. Perhaps the needle is set too high or the carb was tuned for jhb rather than coastal... Alright... I'll start there. Thanks guys

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 3 weeks 6 days ago #116942

• Petboy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Centurion
  • Thank you received: 33
My fuel economy is similar to that of Handre.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

2005 Pink (used to be red) Fugly
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster
2009 Yamaha Fazer Fz1
2008 Yamaha BWS

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 3 weeks 5 days ago #116946

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 761
As mentioned above, I don't think I've ever managed to get less than 18 km/l on my KLR; even two-up, heavily loaded, bad aerodynamics (big side bags), into the wind at more than 100 km/h... When I play around town (no open roads, always accelerating strong, I still get 19km/l.

In all my years as keyboard warrior on the forums I can recall only one KLR that got figures as bad as yours...And that bike ended up having a generic/aftermarket CDI.

As far as I've read all (South African) stock KLRs are tuned for coastal conditions and thus runs too rich at altitude, not the other way around.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Piet.

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 3 weeks 5 days ago #116947

• Muzzie
  • Fresh Boarder
ah! I didnt think about the CDI box! perhaps theres something wrong in there. Ive never messed with that, and I assume it had a factory fitted box when I bought it from Kwakka in PE... hmm, i always assumed the issue lay in the carb tuning, but perhaps the cdi is diddling around. thanks! this gives me something else to think about.

KLR fuel economy query. Where is my fuel going? 3 weeks 5 days ago #116948

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 761
Muzzie wrote:
ah! I didnt think about the CDI box! perhaps theres something wrong in there. Ive never messed with that, and I assume it had a factory fitted box when I bought it from Kwakka in PE... hmm, i always assumed the issue lay in the carb tuning, but perhaps the cdi is diddling around. thanks! this gives me something else to think about.
See if you can borrow someone else's for a while and perhaps it solves your problem?

Have you ever ridden on another KLR? How does yours' power/torque compare to any other? If I recall correctly, the bike I've mentioned ran, but not well. I'll see if I can find the thread. Here it is: www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95893.60

Also, you can check your carb diapragm...advrider.com/index.php?threads/poor-klr-...ileage-ideas.360853/ (reply #14)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Piet.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds