Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pivot bolt removal

Pivot bolt removal 6 months 3 weeks ago #115221

• Kykdaar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
So, thanks to Kawasaki and the previous owner(s) my pivot bolt on the KLR was stuck solid and not going anywhere. Bike is a 2007 Fugly with about 50 000km's on.

So lacking the talent to build any extraction tools I had to resort to chemicals and patience :laugh:

After I removed the pivot bolt covering cap and nut I laid the bike down on the exhaust side and propped it up to try and get the bolt cavity as level as possible.

Next i mixed up the secret sauce - a 50/50 mix of cheap Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone.

Then I fed it into the bolt cavity until it drained away. I repeated that a number of times during the afternoon and early evening.

Next morning I re-fitted the nut till it was just standing proud of the bolt-end, took a drift fashioned from a long Allen key and a nice sized hammer and gave it a good smack.

The bolt started to move and a few whacks later it was out - happyness. You can see the rust on it -

Here is a pic of the Kykdaar "Pivot bolt removal kit" B) If I can get it out anyone should be able to do the same.

The linkage itself, as well as the needle bearings still looks good, but the inside of the bush holding the pivot bolt is heavily rusted so I think I will get a All Balls replacement kit and just re-do everything.

The bearings and seals are Koyo - not sure if that is OEM, but from the f@cked up condition of some of the linkage bolt heads it seems some ham-fisted mechanic was in there previously so probably replacement bearings.

For what it is worth, and assuming my eyesight is to be trusted, here is the bearing and seal numbers -

BM 2026 / MHA 28,34,5.7 - 55
BM 2617 / MHA 20, 27, 5.7 - 37
BM 2015 / MHA 20, 27, 5.7 - 24
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tig

Pivot bolt removal 6 months 3 weeks ago #115226

• Groenie
  • null
  • Thank you received: 248
You can't get those bearings anywhere except from Kawa. Trust me, I've been trying for years.
null

Pivot bolt removal 6 months 3 weeks ago #115227

• Kykdaar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Did not know that - luckily i have not removed them yet.

They still in very good condition - so i take it the All balls kit is only for the swingarm?
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds