Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Servicing costs

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113609

• KLR_King
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Guys,

I did a search on the site, but was unable to find a recent post.

I am from JHB and have a 2013/2014 KLR 650 and was wondering what the costs of a service should be.
I am assuming this includes (breaks, air filter, spark plug, breaks, oil etc)

Also, where is the best place to have this done in JHB?

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113610

• handre
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 115
Brakes: Iirc my last sets were around R300 per set
Air Filer: No need for a new one. The KLR's filter is washable.
Spark Plug: I don't know. R30?
Oil: Castrol Actevo is R63 per liter as Midas, so looking at +/- R150 for 2.5 liters
Oil filter: R50 - R120, depending on where you get it from

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113611

• LennyB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
If possible I would also suggest doing the work yourself. There are many videos and how2's on doing everything needed to service the KLR from top to bottom. And it is quite easy if you know how B)

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113612

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 700
LennyB wrote:
If possible I would also suggest doing the work yourself. There are many videos and how2's on doing everything needed to service the KLR from top to bottom. And it is quite easy if you know how B)
+1

A quick service (as Handre describes) could take as little as 30 min if you've done it a few times! And then you also know that it is done right.

I took the air filter off my dad's bike this morning (serviced at Race Preparations in Pretoria) and it was not properly seated over the plastic cage, so it let some dust pass into the engine... :angry:

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113620

• KLR_King
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Guys,

Thank you so far for all your comments. I had previously done a quick service (just oil and filter), but found it difficult to change the spark plug. I am going to attempt it again but need to get the right tools for the job.

A quick one on oil, what is the best oil to use? (I use my bike to work and back +- 36km's a day) and want something that will protect my engine. I see Handre wrote "Castrol Actevo" is that the best?

Thanks again

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113621

• handre
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 115
By the number of posts in this (http://klrclan.co.za/forum/maintenance/54340-oil-and-all-oil-related-topics) thread you can see how many opinions there is on which oil to use. I just mentioned Actevo as that is the oil I am using.

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113623

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 700
KLR_King wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you so far for all your comments. I had previously done a quick service (just oil and filter), but found it difficult to change the spark plug. I am going to attempt it again but need to get the right tools for the job.

A quick one on oil, what is the best oil to use? (I use my bike to work and back +- 36km's a day) and want something that will protect my engine. I see Handre wrote "Castrol Actevo" is that the best?

Thanks again
And the right tool for the spark plug job is in your bike's tool kit. It is an awkward position and the Kawa specific tool works best!

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113625

• SarelG
  • Centurion GP
  • Thank you received: 585
KLR_King wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks again

I take all the side panels and the tank off when I service my bike, which makes getting to the plug the easiest part of the service. Yes, it is a lot of work, but I use to opportunity to double check that the cables etc. are not chafing and inspect for any possible visual issues that might crop up and can be prevented.

Just FYI, if you look at the engine casing from the right hand side, directly in line where the plug screws in, you will see a little hole. This is to blow out any grains or sand / mud that might by lying against the plug and which would fall into your engine as soon as you take the plug out. I stick a thin pipe over that hole and blow the rubbish out, but a compressor would be ideal.

The one under the coolant pipe.
One day I will die, but on all the others I will not, so on those days I will live it to the fullest!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LennyB, martinr, Toggie

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113627

• Peter Vee
  • I hate sports cars... they scratch my bash plate.
  • Thank you received: 1300
My sons and I service our KLRs ourselves, typically for around R400 max... plug, oil, oil filter

Herewith info on what we use ito parts/ part number and oil type.. I buy from Sliverton Midas and generally in bulk once every 2nd year.

Spark plug;
Ngk dpr8ea-9
Gap .9

Oil;
Helix HX 5 15 w 40
Hiflo oil filter hf123

Airfilter:
Uniflo airfilter nu-2378st
Hiflo airfilter hff2024
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Peter Vee.

Servicing costs 1 week 5 days ago #113636

• LennyB
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
Goeie genade ek het dit nie geweet nie. Dankie vir die deel daarvan
SarelG wrote:
KLR_King wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks again

I take all the side panels and the tank off when I service my bike, which makes getting to the plug the easiest part of the service. Yes, it is a lot of work, but I use to opportunity to double check that the cables etc. are not chafing and inspect for any possible visual issues that might crop up and can be prevented.

Just FYI, if you look at the engine casing from the right hand side, directly in line where the plug screws in, you will see a little hole. This is to blow out any grains or sand / mud that might by lying against the plug and which would fall into your engine as soon as you take the plug out. I stick a thin pipe over that hole and blow the rubbish out, but a compressor would be ideal.

The one under the coolant pipe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SarelG
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds