Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Air filter drain

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113243

• capeklr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Planet Earth
  • Thank you received: 610
Hi,
I've just come across a potential problem.
The airbox of the KLR has two drains.
These are behind the exhaust pipe.
The one drain is on the dirty side of the airbox, i.e. before the airfilter and is there to let water drain off in case you wash your bike a bit to enthusiastically or ride through a deep river.
Just make sure its open from time to time.
The other drain is on the clean side of the airbox, this has a pipe down to the swingarm with a plastic container and a plug on the end.
In case the engine throws some oil into the airbox this will then collect in the small container near the swingarm and you can then pull the plug to drain it off.
Well I've just had a bike here where due to off road riding the container had been lost so the pipe was open to the dust.
Pipe inside full of dust as well as the airbox.
Result open engine and replace intake valves.
$$$$
First photo of the container from another bike, but also missing the plug. I have made a red circle on the photo which pipe is supposed to be plugged.
Second photo, I have decided to fit a in fuel filter into the pipe, this will allow any oil to drain off, but won't allow dust in.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
St Augustine
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by capeklr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frik, Pannas, The Lone Ranger, Piet, Jerkimiah, Blou Jakkals

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113244

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 706
www.klrclan.co.za/forum/maintenance/5302...e-airbox-drain#65824

Happened to me as well. The pipe broke brittly right up near the airbox, it was still attached, but if you bend it to the side it had a massive hole! Fortunately I caught it in time!

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113245

• capeklr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Planet Earth
Didn't know there was a thread already on this. Thanks.
St Augustine

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113247

• Ryderod
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
I honestly cannot see any practical use for this inner drain apart from it being a potential dust hazard, this is virtually the only bike I know that has this idea, mine are completely blanked off
Let's do dirty!

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113248

• Piet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 706
Ryderod wrote:
I honestly cannot see any practical use for this inner drain apart from it being a potential dust hazard, this is virtually the only bike I know that has this idea, mine are completely blanked off
:lol: :laugh: A newby once pitched up at doc's place while I was there. His bike was pissing out oil over the rear brake and the rear wheel and his right boot!

Turns out he decided to service the bike himself and didn't bother to read any manuals/websites beforehand...He filled the engine right up to the filler cap with oil! :woohoo: Good times. :laugh:

(So there you have ONE use for the drain valve, but why they gooi the overflow oil into the airbox in the first place is also a good question!)

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113253

• Ryderod
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
Piet wrote:
(So there you have ONE use for the drain valve, but why they gooi the overflow oil into the airbox in the first place is also a good question!)

I suspect it has something to do with environmental issues? In normal and not overfilled use I think the idea is to re-introduce any oil splashes coming out of the crank breather back into the airbox to rather be burnt up again as opposed to oiling our roads.
Let's do dirty!

Air filter drain 2 months 3 weeks ago #113255

• capeklr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Planet Earth
If the bike lies on its side for a while, it is possible that some oil gets into the breather system, when starting the sump compression can force the oil into the airbox, without the drain the engine would have to burn the oil.
Also a engine which is worn, high mileage, will breathe a bit more oil fumes into the airbox.
So having this drain is not bad.
St Augustine

Air filter drain 2 months 2 weeks ago #113287

• SarelG
  • Centurion GP
  • Thank you received: 594
Jorg / gents, thank you for sharing. I have not seen this outlet / pipe yet but will definitely be investigating it in the morning.
One day I will die, but on all the others I will not, so on those days I will live it to the fullest!!
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by SarelG.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds