Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113284

• Kalahari Pete
  • Gold Boarder
  • Northwold - Jhb
  • Thank you received: 95
Blackened wrote:
I currently have Micheline Anakee 3's on as that is how I bought the bike. They are however probably 90/10. I would prefer a more 50/50. My question still is if the Heidenau K60 is a good tyre or not?

- how much tar do you ride with your KLR? (wet often?) 50/50
- do you ride any off-road? yes (see above 50/50)
- what is your average fuel consumption? no idea
- what do you weigh? 100kg
- do you ever ride 2 up? never

Ran Heidenau K 60's front and back for about 8000klm. Was doing about 65% tar 35% off road - some rough off road stuff - marbles / rocks etc from time to time.

I weigh 80kg but tend to carry too much "stuff" in my top box so say 95kg solo but sometimes with my wife wedged between me and the top box. No issues.

Fuel consumption? - fill it when the tank is empty. If it helps I got to Nelspruit (360klm) on a tank loaded.

No real issues at all in the dry - on both dirt and slab and indeed they last well. Only changed the rear because I hit a concrete bridge "lip" that put a smiley in the rim - tyre seemed fine but for safety made the change to Mitas EO7. But ran the fronts longer.

So in a nutshell generally a great tyre - watch the wet stuff - wet tar can be like a soapy snot lap especially early summer rains with all the crap not washed off the road yet. Packs up quick with mud but so to do a lot of others.

It has a hard side wall so pinch flats not easy (hit that concrete lip - stuffed the rim but Heidenau stayed inflated. A bitch to break the bead - then again the Mitas EO7 is also a stubborn mule (Ask Abre :laugh:) - hence my tubeless conversion, just completed.

Like oil, there are as many opinions about tyres as there are tyres - any clan gathering proves this. Abre is right - maybe not sexy but that Bridgestone is a good value all rounder. Mitas EO7 are popular. Frankly, I don't think there are many crap tyres - they all pretty much work. Common sense and skill must do the rest.

My 2 cents - good luck with your choice.
*KLR 2009 *Eagle Mike Doohicky * SW Motech Crash Bars *Leo Vince L3 *Wilber Progressive Front *ORC HD Rear Spring *Poli-Sports Front Fender *Excel rear rim * Motoradical s/s foot pegs *UNI Filter *PUIG wind deflector* 22 Cent Mod *12 V Power Outlet *Shad Top Box * Mitas EO7 * Pannier Racks by Errol...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113317

• Blackened
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Great reply, thank you.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113318

• Jerkimiah
  • Gold Boarder
  • From Velleriff
  • Thank you received: 108
I have fitted Golden Tyres GT201's to my boney on the advice of Piston Pete from Outriders
These are 50/50 tyres and have given me great service on tar, wet n dry as well as the roads around the Western Cape, such as Cedarberg and the West Coast
I will try and source these again when I need to replace

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113322

• RubiKLR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314
Jerkimiah wrote:
I have fitted Golden Tyres GT201's to my boney on the advice of Piston Pete from Outriders
These are 50/50 tyres and have given me great service on tar, wet n dry as well as the roads around the Western Cape, such as Cedarberg and the West Coast

Supplier??
It's never wrong to do the right thing

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113323

• Jerkimiah
  • Gold Boarder
  • From Velleriff
  • Thank you received: 108
RubiKLR wrote:
Jerkimiah wrote:

Supplier??

I got them from Tracmac last, but now live up the coast, so will need to find a new source

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 2 months 2 weeks ago #113332

• Peter Vee
  • I hate sports cars... they scratch my bash plate.
  • Thank you received: 1314
Blackened wrote:
Peter Vee wrote:
Tyres tyres tyres..

Given my riding is realistically mostly mixed off-road conditions with some unavoidable tar to connect to next stages… I selected tyres choices around this… also I don’t commute by bike at all so high tar mileage is not a requirement. Most of my rides are longer ADV tours with a heavy bike and only the occasional 300-400km day ride with no load. In search of the “right” combo for this requirement I have tried the following over the last few years… my thoughts on these are…

Kenda Big blocks – ok 50/50 tyres, low to average mileage and average off road.. just did not feel comfortable with them.
Kenda K270 – cheap and cheerful, very good off-road traction and grip, as good as any knobbly, but very squirmy on tar corners which you can get used too, average mileage, the rear runs square like an E-07 overtime. Good budget option.
Mitas E-09 Dakar – brilliant off road tyres that worked well on varied dirt terrain, gave remarkably high mileage. My first choice.
Mitas E-07 Dakar – good 50/50 tyres, the rears do run square and thus don’t offer same grip / durability as the E-09. Not for me.
Michelin T63 – good off road tyres, wear down very quickly on any tar, used up a set on 8 day off-road tour… did not expect to get more than 3000km on rear tyre. Won’t buy again.
Metzler Karoo 3 – very good off road and on road… was confident in dirt and on tar with these… are noisy and a pity that they also a soft compound that won’t offer high mileage. Good option for KLR weight… my second choice.
Michelin Desert Race – exceptional off road tyres, used by top factory Dakar teams, last well and hook up great on any off-road terrain, ok on tar and return good mileage.
Dunlop 606 - cheap and good old school KLR tyres, don’t like the feel of them on tar and cornering… also don’t expect same mileage from these as a E-09 which offers better grip all-round. Probably great option for farm bike.

So in conclusion I am sold on E-09 Dakar for KLR usage… granted they are more expensive, Karoo 3’s close second.

I have mixed enduro tyres (Michelin Desert Race / Maxxis) on my XR650... it is 40kgs lighter than a Fugly which is already lighter than a KLR E, this works well on this bike but I'd be nervous of this on heavier bike over the long term.

Again just one persons views on a "subjective" topic... some experimentation is required to find what works for you ;)

Pete
Hi Pete. What do you think of the Heidenau K60 and please would you mind telling me where you buy your tires in JHB?

Sorry for lateness of reply, have been away travelling..

Heidies are great dual sport 50/50 tyres, a number of my friends who rode KTM 990 ADV's swore by them.. they return good mileage and are robust tyres with very strong sidewalls, the only downside is that they have very stiff carcasses as a result and are very difficult to change / break the bead by yourself in the middle of the boondocks.

As I pointed out in my original blurb on tyres, its all about making a decision based on where you will spend the majority of your time riding... guys who commute every day will be better served by tyres that work on tar ito grip and have longevity.. dirt trackers will need something different... horses for courses stuff as we all know ;)

I used to buy tyres from Just Bike Tyre in Centurion but have since swapped to Sharwoods because their prices are great and they deliver to my door in CT and JHB... with extra discount for WildDogs.

See below,

Pete

justbiketyre.co.za/collections/dual-sport-tyres

www.sharwoodsbiketyre.co.za/274-combo-s
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 month 3 weeks ago #113503

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 85
Wow. I have just read all 856 posts in this thread, over the last three days.
Much info covered, and I detoured a lot along the way to further research some tyres mentioned. Google truly is your friend. I will be needing new tyres very soon, so I made plenty notes to help me decide. Still not made that decision as yet.

To touch on a few topics:
I did not like the Bridgestone Trailwings on my KLR when I bought it, so I replaced them with Mitas E07’s and have been VERY pleased with them. Deep, soft sand being the only area where I wished I had E09’s, however I managed to mostly waddle through the trickier sandpits, and gassed it where there were no rocks, fenceposts, etc to break my falls... and fall I did, plenty, but in open sand, one can take those chances.

16000km already on them, probably 60% to 70% on dirt and will probably squeeze another 1000km or so. I do not commute on the bike, its only used to explore the dirt roads, with the only tar being getting to the dirt and connecting between dirt roads.

All in all, I would be happy with another set of E07’s but wish to experience something else but similar for the next set.

BTW, I fitted a 140 wide rear in place of the standard 130 wide.
Note that the E07 is even wider than most other similar width-rated tyres, due to the large tread placed on the sides. To get this to fit comfortably inside the narrow swingarm, I fitted a new chain, cut to length to position the wheel as far back as possible, to take advantage of the tapered gap in the swingarm. After 1500km I cut off another two links to compensate for a bit of stretch as I had run out of chain tension adjustment space.

I run 2BAR front and back on tar, then drop to 1BAR cold (1.2BAR hot) front & back when I reach the dirt. Soft sand, I drop the front to 0.8BAR. Never damaged the rim despite some really rough and often rocky bits. Never had a puncture on these, despite others in the group getting punctures. Perhaps I have just been lucky in that regard.

The sidewalls are pretty tough, allowing lower pressure with less risk of snakebites and smileys... and I bet one could limp to the nearest town at 30kph with a flat on these E07’s.

The E07’s were a bit of a bitch to get onto the rim and set the bead, so thank goodness I have not had to repair punctures in the field.

P.S. has anyone used the Bib Mousse tyre inserts on a KLR?
I do not think it’s worth converting to tubeless and am wondering if a Bib Mousse in the rear is worth considering or not. A Hollander that I accompanied on a four-day tour who came from a MX and Enduro background, said he uses them extensively on the smaller bikes. This was his first ride on a bigger bike (rental). He planned to get a Dual-Sport bike when he gets home and was determined to fit a Bib Mousse in the rear, as 90% of punctures seem to be rear tyres.
Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 month 3 weeks ago #113509

• Ryderod
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
I run mousses on my one set of wheels on my dirtbike, they do have a bit of a "dead" feel to them which takes initial getting used to. They start off a bit too hard when new and obviously get right down to super soft when nearing eol. This is when they have amazing traction. The reason I have 2 wheel sets? Mousses generally do not like higher speeds so I only use them in slower tech rides, mainly rocks, and then swop out to a set running the nuetech tubliss system. Why tubliss? They give the best feedback and ride IMO, and unlike a mousse can have the tyre pressures adjusted to anything from 0.4 Bar upwards so are also great for rocks, and they do high speeds very well, (I do balance the front wheel due to the huge rimlock used in the system). This system is so good IMO that I am thinking of only using them and tossing the mousses, but this would mean moving away from the Mitas green stripe C18 rear tyre I love so much as the carcass is too soft for tubliss.
So based on my own experiences I would not use mousses on a KLR as I doubt they would last long unless using maybe using the rally type mousses which are stupidly priced.
They also do require regular cleaning and re-lubing to maximize life. I get about 12 - 18 months on a set but know of some riders using them at higher speed off-road races that only get one race out of them, an expensive luxury then.
BTW. I am not aware of there being any mousses offered in 17" so you would also have to look at an 18" rear rim conversion afaik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's do dirty!
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Ryderod.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 month 3 weeks ago #113513

• xplorer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Living life, loud!
  • Thank you received: 85
Perhaps we make too much about which tyres are better for dirt...

Then along comes 14 year old Yolanda on this tiny farm bike with Marie-biscuit street tyres, and completes the Canola Run, 100km of dirt with a fair sprinkling of sand, mud, clay and some rocky bits... quite humbling...

It looked like she was having just as much fun as the big boys on their big KTM’s and 1200GS’

Keen to meet and ride.
082 414-8448
If you are in Cape Town, message me to join our WhatsApp group for organising meets and rides.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by xplorer.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 month 2 weeks ago #113689

• martinr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Why We Ride
  • Thank you received: 104
My findings thus far:

Bridgestone trail wing 42- 20-25 000 km on the rear and 35000 km on the front, mainly tarmac
excellent grip and traction on tar- wet and dry, and gravel roads. :woohoo:

Dunlop D606 front 10 000 km, knobby was spongy, understandable. rear did 20 000 km, mainly tarmac.
good grip wet and dry, excellent grip on the gravel. I was super impressed with the tyre. :woohoo:

Michelin Shirac, power slide twice on dry tar around a normal right and left corners, slid on wet tarmac (and possibly with some diesel on it too) me and my cherry went down. not impressed with Shirac currently....and they only did 2000 km, still new :angry:

I tested them for myself, for my own peace of mind.
Bridgestone trail wing 42 remains to be my preferred choice......
2014 Green KLR, F1X pipe, DMD washable air filter, motard front fender
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds