Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: All things Tyres / Tires / Bande

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106318

• Tig
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Yes horses for courses.but you will like this pete :lol: .
Article here www.petersenshunting.com/wheels.../the-u...ator-assault-vehicle

The administrator has disabled public write access.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106319

• Kalahari Pete
  • Gold Boarder
  • Northwold - Jhb
  • Thank you received: 95
Thank you - appreciate all the advice guys.

How cool is that Fugly that TIG posted? :) Good article.

I had a look at a D606 in the flesh today - shyte .... it certainly is "agro" - but the reports are pretty good as a "short life" duely.

I will give it some more thought. Probably end up with what Dave and Thor suggest i.e. keeping it "matched" - lesser of the evils I suppose :unsure: :evil:

That said - anyone have experience with the EO7 "Dakar" up front - apparently has another ply added which helps the pinch flats? But maybe just overkill and more money huh? :unsure:
*KLR 2009 *Eagle Mike Doohicky * SW Motech Crash Bars *Leo Vince L3 *Wilber Progressive Front *ORC HD Rear Spring *Poli-Sports Front Fender *Excel rear rim * Motoradical s/s foot pegs *UNI Filter *PUIG wind deflector* 22 Cent Mod *12 V Power Outlet *Shad Top Box * Mitas EO7 * Pannier Racks by Errol...

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106320

• - B R -
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 129
The Dakar versions are worth it. Stiffer sidewall will help in preventing pinches and dented rims.
D606 ... yeah short life. Try the Mitas E-10, better life and speed rating. Also comes in Dakar mode.
A motto that I beat into granite, with my size 13's, during my introduction to my personal kindergarten: "It will kill me, but you first!"

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106321

• Charel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I have been thinking over this very subject for the last two weeks, my front tire is almost due for replacement. And after reading alot of RR on various sites, I have decided to go for a full Mx front tire. If it only last a couple thousands then I'm okay with that. I will be doing alot of dirt so want the best confidence then.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
2010 KLR650
Adventure is just a push of a button away

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106323

• Dual
  • Hermanus
  • Thank you received: 1296
Continental TKC 80, works for me

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106331

• THOR
  • Gold Boarder
  • Hold My Red Bull , Check This Move !
  • Thank you received: 170
I have been thinking over this very subject for the last two weeks, my front tire is almost due for replacement. And after reading alot of RR on various sites, I have decided to go for a full Mx front tire. If it only last a couple thousands then I'm okay with that. I will be doing alot of dirt so want the best confidence then.

Yet another topic all by it self !!
MX Tyres is designed , umm for MX bikes that weigh 80-90kg on MX designed tracks :whistle:
There is a huge different from a full-on MX , to a ENDURO tyre !?
a KLR's weight is on the other side 180kg ( new shape )

Just something to ponder about :blink:

Cheers
Thor
Last Edit: 1 year 3 days ago by Pannas.

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106332

• - B R -
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 129
Leave it... it will become clear when the weight class difference causes the tire to become unhinged at speed.
Kinda like a size 32 jeans on a 44 waist.
A motto that I beat into granite, with my size 13's, during my introduction to my personal kindergarten: "It will kill me, but you first!"

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106334

• Ryderod
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267
Charel wrote:

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Charel, if you are set on going this route you must be aware of the tyre construction and rating, especially the sidewall ply rating IMO, as you might possibly run higher speeds, on a heavier bike, on tar (which is not kind to knobbies), than the average dirtbike.

I would only look at something like the Mitas C-19 90/90-21 tyre (yellow stripe). It is a great tyre, I have used them for many years on a dirtbike running the nutec tubliss system as their carcass is tough. They are also one of the few road legal FIM, DOT and ES 75 approved dedicated dirt bike tyres.
With the way insurance companies try weasel out of any claim, the last thing you want is something to go wrong on a quick trip to the cafe, or the likes, and you sit with a repudiated claim because of a tyre.

My 2c
Let's do dirty!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 days ago by Ryderod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Psycho Porra, Keith

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106335

• Peter Vee
  • I hate sports cars... they scratch my bash plate.
  • Thank you received: 1318
Tyres tyres tyres..

Given my riding is realistically mostly mixed off-road conditions with some unavoidable tar to connect to next stages… I selected tyres choices around this… also I don’t commute by bike at all so high tar mileage is not a requirement. Most of my rides are longer ADV tours with a heavy bike and only the occasional 300-400km day ride with no load. In search of the “right” combo for this requirement I have tried the following over the last few years… my thoughts on these are…

Kenda Big blocks – ok 50/50 tyres, low to average mileage and average off road.. just did not feel comfortable with them.
Kenda K270 – cheap and cheerful, very good off-road traction and grip, as good as any knobbly, but very squirmy on tar corners which you can get used too, average mileage, the rear runs square like an E-07 overtime. Good budget option.
Mitas E-09 Dakar – brilliant off road tyres that worked well on varied dirt terrain, gave remarkably high mileage. My first choice.
Mitas E-07 Dakar – good 50/50 tyres, the rears do run square and thus don’t offer same grip / durability as the E-09. Not for me.
Michelin T63 – good off road tyres, wear down very quickly on any tar, used up a set on 8 day off-road tour… did not expect to get more than 3000km on rear tyre. Won’t buy again.
Metzler Karoo 3 – very good off road and on road… was confident in dirt and on tar with these… are noisy and a pity that they also a soft compound that won’t offer high mileage. Good option for KLR weight… my second choice.
Michelin Desert Race – exceptional off road tyres, used by top factory Dakar teams, last well and hook up great on any off-road terrain, ok on tar and return good mileage.
Dunlop 606 - cheap and good old school KLR tyres, don’t like the feel of them on tar and cornering… also don’t expect same mileage from these as a E-09 which offers better grip all-round. Probably great option for farm bike.

So in conclusion I am sold on E-09 Dakar for KLR usage… granted they are more expensive, Karoo 3’s close second.

I have mixed enduro tyres (Michelin Desert Race / Maxxis) on my XR650... it is 40kgs lighter than a Fugly which is already lighter than a KLR E, this works well on this bike but I'd be nervous of this on heavier bike over the long term.

Again just one persons views on a "subjective" topic... some experimentation is required to find what works for you ;)

Pete
Current Bikes: Yamaha XT 1200Z; Honda XR 650; Kawasaki KLR 650 A x 2; Kawasaki KLX 300R; Yamaha WR 250F
Last Edit: 1 year 3 days ago by Peter Vee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tig, Psycho Porra, Keith, THOR

All things Tyres / Tires / Bande 1 year 3 days ago #106336

• Kalahari Pete
  • Gold Boarder
  • Northwold - Jhb
  • Thank you received: 95
Thanks Pete - great advice as always.

Ironically after further homework I had kind of gotten in down to an E- O7 / E0-9 Dakar - with my leaning toward the latter. So thanks for endorsing that - decision done .... thank the Pope!

I found this that may put a smile on Diesel Daves face - there is value in his choice too.

www.webbikeworld.com/2012-dealer-expo/du...rt-motorcycle-tires/

Hope that attachment converts to a link :unsure:
*KLR 2009 *Eagle Mike Doohicky * SW Motech Crash Bars *Leo Vince L3 *Wilber Progressive Front *ORC HD Rear Spring *Poli-Sports Front Fender *Excel rear rim * Motoradical s/s foot pegs *UNI Filter *PUIG wind deflector* 22 Cent Mod *12 V Power Outlet *Shad Top Box * Mitas EO7 * Pannier Racks by Errol...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dieseldawie
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds