Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: OIL - and all oil related topics.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 10 years 1 week ago #203

• ogri
I wonder if that can be the oil's fault ? Why only in Merc engines ? Maybe Merc should use better alloys. Sludge can only be formed if the engines run way to hot or gives off so much metal and dust that the oil becomes sludge !

Never heard of this before.

Merc, BMW, Porche, Bugatti, they all make bugger-ups. I have a celeb friend with a Porche that did 80,000km and the engine was stuffed. Had to rebore and put new pistons whatever. Cost him R30,000.

My other buddy did 400,000 on an Opel Monza (remember those) and did a rebuild that cost R4000.

I rode a XL500 without that roller bearing conversionin the head, for 65,000km on Castol Magnatec !

Your statement just shows how much damage a rumour can do to a brand name !

(I am have used Castrol many years [GTX] and also Total and Harley Davidson synthetic. Found them all to be good) There is no crappy oils today unless its cooking oil in your engine. It ALL COMES DOWN to how you look after your stuff.

If you are a wrecker do not expect anything to last. 1st world machines are built for 1st world users. For 3rd worldusers give 'em a bloody donkey !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 10 years 1 week ago #204

• Gangsters Paridice
  • Expert Boarder
  • FRENDS DONT LET FRENDS DRIVE FRENCH
It is the additives in casrtol that becomes a thick crust inside the engine and eventualy with merc 15000km service intervals becomes a problem,on a bike with out opening the engine with high milage lets say 80000km you could not notice it unless you have opend the engine,VW uses Castrol and when the crust breaks up it blocks the oil pick up and sizes the motor VW recomends a sump service every 90000km on the old golf 1 becourse of the problem with Castrol.The newer VW engins they have made the grill in the oil pick up bigger. I use Castrol in my Land Rover with great susess but i have alsow removed the sump and tappet covers and washed the parts with petrol to remove the crust that forms around 50000km (Ford 3.4 v6)
AIRBOX - DYNOJET - SW MOTECH - GIVI - AIRAGE - SPOTLAMPS - TOOLTUBE - BLUE 08 - 12V OUTLET - FAN OVERRIDE - PCV VALVE - KLRCLAN
Last Edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Gangsters Paridice.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 10 years 1 week ago #205

• ogri
Ok so if that is true DO NOT use Castrol. It seems to be rubbish. I will never use it again !

How can a manufacturer be so stupid as to put rubbish additives in its oil ? They should be prosecuted !

Ogri

OIL - and all oil related topics. 10 years 1 week ago #206

• ogri
Read this interesting article- It has nothing to do with AMSOIL. they did publish it but it is very important to take note:- (The FTC is the American Federal Trade Commission)

The performance benefits of aftermarket additives are mostly unsubstantiated.

AMSOIL has long discouraged motorists from using any kind of aftermarket lubricant additive. After all, AMSOIL synthetic lubricants use the finest quality synthetic basestocks and additive systems. AMSOIL's response to the question "Should aftermarket additives or aftermarket products be added to AMSOIL motor oils?" is " No, you don't need them. AMSOIL motor oils are formulated under the strictest quality control standards to provide superior lubrication performance. Additives cost money and only detract from the quality of AMSOIL motor oils." Additionally, not only do they detract from the quality of the motor oil, but they can also be damaging to your engine.

A perfect example of why AMSOIL discourages use of aftermarket additives is the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) recent lawsuits against many auto additives, seeking to halt false and misleading advertising and gain refunds for customers who purchased the products. According to the FTC, the enhanced performance benefits claimed by many additivess provide are totally unsubstantiated, and in the same tests cited to support performance claims, motor oil treated with additives actually produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil by itself.

The CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry test which measures the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. According to the complaint, in early 1997 an independent testing facility performed two CRC L38 tests of the popular additives. The results showed motor oil treated with additives produced more than double the bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. According to the FTC, the defendants eliminated the bearing corrosion results, as well as all other negative results, to produce one "report" from the two sets of tests, using this "report" in its infomercials and on its website.

The FTC charge alleges that the additives did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation from the following product claims:

increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%, reduces engine wear, reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup, reduces engine corrosion, extends engine life and reduces emissions.

The FTC also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test prove:

increases gas mileage, reduces engine wear, extends engine life, lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%, lowers wear on valve stems by 66%, lowers wear on piston skirts by 60% and cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%

Finally, the FTC charges that the additives do not have substantiation for the representation that the testimonials and endorsements shown in advertising are "the actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The lawsuits a long line of FTC charges against auto several additive manufacturers. The FTC has previously halted allegedly deceptive advertising by the marketers of Dura Lube, Motor Up, Prolong, Valvoline, Slick 50, STP and other major brands of engine treatment systems.

With thanks to the people of AMSOIL, one of the best oils in the world !

Ogri

:evil:

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #277

• Mario123
Some results at last. Bought some Motul 15W50 (R220/4l) and been using it for some 2000km, highway everyday, "averaging" 120km/h for 70km all the way if you know what I mean...

Although the Motul did not stop the oil consumption completely, it drastically reduced the oil consumption. I am of the opinion that the thicker oil (compared to the 10W40) helps with reducing the oil consumption as it is a bit more difficult to get past the oil rings.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #281

• Gangsters Paridice
  • Expert Boarder
  • FRENDS DONT LET FRENDS DRIVE FRENCH
Think of it this way - If you have an oil burner you onley have to change the filter and not the oil as it gets new oil quite often.:P

Just kidding if my bike uses oil ill go nuts. :woohoo:I feel for someone who can not take a long relaxing trip with out worring if the oil is ok or the engine will size eany moment.But i belive for every problem in this world there is a solution and if it is man made it can be solved.

I bought my KLR knowing it might use oil and if it does ill live with it or fix it.

A thumper is a thumper not a criuzer - love My KLR for what it is even with its faults as long as it is not a danger to me. Seen eany body on a BMW smile lately ?
AIRBOX - DYNOJET - SW MOTECH - GIVI - AIRAGE - SPOTLAMPS - TOOLTUBE - BLUE 08 - 12V OUTLET - FAN OVERRIDE - PCV VALVE - KLRCLAN
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Gangsters Paridice.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #295

• ogri
Hallo Mario

Great to see that some riders actually get good results from synthetic oils. My old KLR Thumpah does not burn oil at all. even after 31,000kays on da clock. Amazing.

I am not a slow rider. Used to my much faster Buell 1200cc, I usually ride hard with the Klr on da open road and still.... no oil usage. I check after every out ride.

I use 2/5 magnatec and 3/5 castrol edge 10w60. Will change to 5/5 Castrol edge next time. Da local Vuka dealer only uses Castrol Edge in his Vukas and raves about the stuff. I am not that loyal to a specific brand and will use any good stuff between 10w and 60w multigrade.

On a KLR even GTX should be fine. The bike is designed to be a true adventure bike and will live with any good oil, even 20w50 diesel-oil might work...or straight SAE.30 !

Its great that your bike is now using much less oil. Moderate oil usage is no sin. The manual will also state that.

If you live where it gets realy warm, like up to 37 degrees on the tar then 10W60 will also be good as the "60" means the oil maintains viscosity better in hotter temperatures.

Edge was developed for high performance engines that run hot and has a lot of stresses. So in a KLR it will be great.

Combine it with the correct high quality radiator coolant and oil usage will be very low (if the bike is in good mechanical condition).

One can never expect any vehicle to be hammered day in and day out or every time one rides it and expect it to last. That's why there is a red line on the rev counter.

Some ar**holes think they must rev the crap out of their bikes and wonder why its worn out, broken and tatty after 8,000 kays....

Your KLR should have no problem doing a daily 70 kays @ 120km/h every day. I have been ridin' 34 years this year and have never had bikes that threw rings, bent valves, smoked or broke cam chains and so on. I have too much respect for my bikes to stuff them up. How can one hammer the sh*t out of something you love...?

As far as your comment is concerned: you saw good results and that just shows what a good oil means to your bike !

Cheers and enjoy every minute riding !

Ogri

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #296

• saKLR
Well done guys, you're getting some interesting information flowing here..great stuff for a newbie to riding to read up on! Shot!

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #305

• RobC
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
ogri wrote:
On a KLR even GTX should be fine. The bike is designed to be a true adventure bike and will live with any good oil, even 20w50 diesel-oil might work...or straight SAE.30 !
The single largest user of KLR's in the world, the US Marines uses Rotella diesel oil in their bikes. The main reason being that Rotella is a very good multi purpose oil and they run all their stuff on it. B)
Got my motor runnin... heading for the highway...
08 KLR650 Green/Shock Protector Flap-Penta-Tooltube-Crash Bars-LED instrument lights-Hazard and Indicator Mod-Stiebel Horn-PCV Mod-SS footpegs-HID Headlights-progressive fork springs-upgraded shock and spring.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 11 months ago #306

• Frik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Bushveld beer and braai!!
  • Thank you received: 69
Hi there,

Just to let you know that i am running my Honda CRF enduro scoot on Castrol Edge. It is performing briliantly in conditions like De Wildt, and enduro races. I was wondering if one can put that in a KLR?

Cheers
Kawasaki KLX 300; Yamaha YZ 250; Honda CRF 230; KLR 650; BMW F800GS; BMW F 650 GS Certoa; Yamaha 1200 Super Tenere - back to my trusty KLR!!!
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds