Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: OIL - and all oil related topics.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #11

• Mario123
If you visit the KLR650.net site you will find loads and loads of oil threads and it is with much regret that I found out my 08 KLR also liked to consume a lot - 500ml over 800km after about 6000km on the clock!!!

I took it back to the dealer and Kawasaki SA authorised a repair. It took them a month to find parts and eventually imported from China...Not a nice experience (see post on www.hellopeter.com/the_comment.asp?recid=143139).

Anyway, the KLR is at around 14500km on the clock and I have a suspicion that it started using again. Will keep a close eye on the consumption and will keep you posted.

Two quick questions though:
I see on the KLR650.net forum that there is a 685cc conversion kit available in America but I can't find a local dealer to source it. Any ideas?

Any ideas/recommendation on the best oil to use in the KLR?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #18

• Duke
  • Administrator
  • Right Round
  • Thank you received: 29
I have also noticed that my bike is starting to use oil after about 25000 km.

Like you said - I am also keeping an eye on it to see what's happening.

This is a problem I would like to get a few articles about under our articles section.
null

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #19

• Mario123
I am not sure what oil the dealers shove into the bike at service intervals, but I am sure it is not the best (also @ R150 for 2.5l very expensive).

It seems from all the threads on the internet it looks like 10W40 is the most used, but whether normal oil or synthetic oils are the best for the KLR650 is still unknown. There is also a lot of debate on the KLR650.net forum around an oil called Rotella, but I can't find this make of oil in SA.

I am considering using Magnatec 10W40 at 15000km (in the middle of the service interval) and to see what happens with the oil consumption.

Will keep this thread updated every now and again...

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #31

• Staalburger
Mine is now on 6000km and it only uses oil at a continuous 6000rpm. In other words in town (even hard riding) it doesn't use any but take it on the open road and keep it at over 140kph indicated and it uses a bit.

The 685cc kit is around R1800. The only problem however is the shipping costs = R1600. There are a couple of good private mechanics in Pta that can do the job for around R1500 or so (you supply the kit).

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #41

• Groenie
  • null
  • Thank you received: 219
I heard from someone working for them that Kawa will never admit to the fact that there is a oil consumption problem on the KLR. The problem is that the sleeve is made of inferior material and will wear unevenly. Yes, it's made in China. The story you will usually get goes something like this: Rings were wrong, we replaced them....rings were assembled incorrectly, we replaced them....You rode the bike without oil, we need to replace xxxxxx.....etc.

The 685 kit may work for a while, but if your KLR is less than 4-5 years old, the problem will persist. Best bet is to go for a resleeve, BUT that will cost plenty
null

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #43

• GreenMachine
Oil, now there is topic that can ruin good friendships :P

On my own personal account, I started running Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W40 some time ago. I live in the desert and our summer time temps gets up to 50 celsius. The oil has held up well and I change every 2000 miles or so.

The transmission is much smoother and some have reported improvement in vibration.

Look at this article seeing that you don't have Rotella in SA http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html. You MUST stay away from any synthetics that has friction modifier additives as it will screw up your clutch.

Check out klrworld.com and do a search for the "PCV". It helps to balance pressure in the engine and some have reported that their oil consumption has disappeared.

The 685 and the 705 kit is available only from http://schnitzracing.com/ in the US and I doubt whether they have a distributor in SA. You might want to contact KLRCARY as he is the man that designed and built the kit. Again, lots of info at klrworld.com where many technical experts that do KLR's hang out. :P

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #56

• Mario123
Thanks for advice and tech data. Spoke to a Kawa dealer and he recommended Motul 5100 (as listed on the website above).

So, short of stripping and modding the KLR, I'm gonna try out the Motul, slip on a 16t front sprocket to lower the revs on the highway (hoping for 120km/h at 3500 revs/min)and see what she does on the highway.

Will post results here if anybody is interested....

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #68

• GreenMachine
My bet is that you will like the synthetic.

Let us know how it works out for you.

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #69

• ogri
Hi
I have owned more than 35 bikes as well as a string of vintage bikes. My KLR has over 30k on the clock and does not use oil. Maybe I am lucky ?

In all 6 my bikes I use only full synthetic oils. It does help to keep valve stems and rubbers smoother and prevents seals not to crack, even after many years. Normal oils do not do this. Mainly this is because normal oils absorbs the acids produced during the combustion process (piston blow by and heat) where sythetic oils does not absorb much or any acids. It allows the gaseous acids to be burned by the angine through rebreathing via the crank breather that goes back in the airbox on 99% of all bikes.

Air cooled bikes run much hotter than liquid cooled bikes and does burn oil and is totally natural. Most manuals will tell you how much it should burn as a max. (Like Buells and HD's)

I use high performance Castrol 10W60 (70%) and 20W50 (30%) mixture in my engine as where I live it can get up to 37 deg. in summer. It seems to allow the bike to run cooler and works well so far.

you can also use 10W40 or any 20W50 full synt.

It is important on a KLR to have the right cooling liquid in the radiator. Not too much water. Get rid of any water and fill and bleed with high quality coolant. The bike will run cooler and not burn oil.

If rings are buggered the plug will be oily when checked. If valve seals are stuffed the bike will smoke when cold (grey smoke) and stop when warm as the stems heats up they start sealing again.

Any bike that is ridden hard. Thrashed and abused will use oil as the engine is abused. The KLR or any bike cannot be ridden on the red line all the time. Its not made for that. That is why the torque curve on all bikes peaks before the red line !

Better, high quality oils benefits the whole engine as it lubes better and makes cam chains and clutches last longer and so on.

Hope this helps.

Keep on kicking up dirt

Ogri:evil:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

OIL - and all oil related topics. 9 years 6 months ago #76

• GreenMachine
ogri,
That is some great info right there.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds