Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oil

Oil 2 months 3 weeks ago #113269

• Sondele1596
  • Fresh Boarder
Guys,

Changed the oil and replaced new filter. The workshop manual says 2.1 liters to fill engine with new filter when engine is dry,

I added the specified quantity and let the new oil settle. Checked the spy glass and the level showed 4 mm below the upper indent on the engine casing. COOL!!!

There are two indent on engine housing so I assuming this is an indication mark for max fill and min fill

I ran the engine till the temp needle just started to lift and checked the spy glass. The oil level at that point in time was just above the minimum indent on the engine casing with engine running at idle.

Can anyone of the members kindly indicate what might be a suitable oil level shown on the spy glass with engine running at idle.

Or does the engine take more than 2.100 liters??
Filled engine with Castrol ACTEVO 10w 40 as per KLR manual.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oil 2 months 3 weeks ago #113270

• handre
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 138
The oil must be measured with the bike in an upright position (not on the side stand) and with the engine off.

You are right that the 2 marks indicate the min and max, so keep it on max.

I have never had to put in more than 2 liters with an service, maybe I too impatient to wait until all the old oil was out...
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by handre.

Oil 2 months 3 weeks ago #113271

• JakesZA
  • Gold Boarder
  • Green 2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Thank you received: 43
While the engine is running, the oil is moving through the engine- so I don't think you should be able to see much oil in the sight glass. I've never checked it while running- so I might be lying blatantly :laugh:
Die donkie is 'n wonderlike ding ;)

Re:RE: Oil 2 months 3 weeks ago #113272

• Voël
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
JakesZA wrote:
While the engine is running, the oil is moving through the engine- so I don't think you should be able to see much oil in the sight glass. I've never checked it while running- so I might be lying blatantly :laugh:
I normally put in about 2.5 with filter change. Drain while warm and let bike stand upright till empty. If memory serves, no oil visible in sight glass while the engine running.

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk
2008 - did the doo with torsion spring; 22c mod; airbox mod; removed the tweety; rain T mod; custom foot pegs; de-californicated; removed the petcock vacuum; red plastics - painted black. Riding and loving it.

Re:RE: Oil 2 months 2 weeks ago #113285

• SarelG
  • Centurion GP
  • Thank you received: 594
I think there is a difference between the Fugly and new shape re volume? Not sure though, Gix / CapeKLR / Fugly riders? The spec on new shape is 2.4L if the filter is changed, which I do with every 5000Km service.
One day I will die, but on all the others I will not, so on those days I will live it to the fullest!!
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds